Friday, April 01, 2005

Out of the mouths of Children....Spirituality

I have to tell you something cute.

I was sitting on my bed feeding Anna her bottle and watching Fox News. Catherine was in the living room watching cartoons. Well she came in and asked me what I was watching. So I explained to her what the Catholic Church is (in 4 year old terms - told her, you know we go to a Methodist Church well there is another type of Christian Church called the Catholic Church). Then I told her how there is this guy called the Pope, his name is John Paul II. That he is in charge of all the Catholic Churches around the world. She said oh so he is like Pastor Andy at our church. I said yes, but he is over all the Catholic Churches not just one little church. She responded, oh so he is a very special person. I told her yes he is. I then told her he is an old man, older then mommy, and grandmi and even grandpi...that he is 84 years old. She said oh he is an old old man then. Yep I told her. Then I went on to tell her, when people get old, sometimes they get really sick and sometimes when they get sick they pass away they die. She said oh but that is when they go to Heaven to be with God. I told her yes, when he dies we will go to heaven with God. I told her what I was watching is here The Pope lives, that they will close those windows (was showing her the lit up windows on the TV) and that tells people he has Gone with God. Her response was....well hold on...and she grabbed our phone....she says we need to call him. I tried to tell her we can't call him, I don't know his phone number, plus when people are sick they don't like to normally talk on the phone. She then said...well we need to call the people that are there with him and tell them to give him some medicine so he can be healthy again. So we went on to talk about how sometimes you can't get medicine to make you healthy, that sometimes you are sick because your body wants to allow you to go to heaven. So then she said, well we should pray that God is ready for him, because if the Pope is going to heaven then they better be ready for him.


With that I just had to give her a big hug, and it was all I could do to keep from crying. So together we prayed for the Pope and for all those who are Catholic here and around the world.

Just had to share that with you.....out of the mouths of children....you can really see God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a Catholic, I thank you for sharing this story (I linked to you via the Anchoress). Your little girl sounds wonderful, and a credit to your nurturing.

Banshee said...

This is a sweet story. You must be proud your daughter has such a strong instinct to help and love others!