Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Another run in with Toys For Tots....so sad.

Last night on my way to Rainbow I went to Deals (it is a dollar type store down the road from me). So I go in to get my tissue paper for Christmas Presents. Then I go to the check out and this is the conversation:
Clerk: Hello, did you find everything OK? Me: Yes I did thank you Clerk: Would you like to donate a $1 to Toys for Tots.

Me: No thanks, I have issues with them right now.

Clerk: Yes, you are not the only one, a lady was in here just before you saying the same thing, and I understand.

Me: Yeah, to say you can't do stuff because it might offend people at Christmas, but if you go to their web site it talks all about Christmas. I just don't get it, make up your mind and take a stance and stick with it.

Clerk: Yeah the Marine Corp rep for us called this past week and said they will not accept our donations, because they won't accept any dollar store type toys. So we are going to give our stuff to the church right there (points to the Methodist Church that is next to the strip mall), they are going to us the stuff for the Northland Christmas Store Program (this is a program for low income families to get toys and clothes for kids for Christmas free).

Me: That is great idea...I might have to look into making a donation to the church...thanks for the info.

We went on to talk about how kids love all toys regardless of where they come from and such. I was just floored by this conversation.

I could not believe that the Toys for Tots program would do this. What scares me even more is this program, which I believe was started in good intention is becoming very messed up. And even sadder is I believe many people have no clue what is going on. The other scary part is the Toys for Tots program said their donations were down this year and it is things like this that are going to make it worse for them.

No comments: