We have known this day was coming, but no matter how much you prepare yourself you are never really ready. Today was the day, it was the day that Peabody was called to heaven. Peabody passed away in his sleep while on my mom's chest, just like the day we brought him home.
Peabody came to live with us June 1989. My mom promised me if we moved to Missouri we could get a dog. The only rule was short haired, small dog. So we looked and looked and came across a lady who had a litter of miniature dachshunds. So my mom and I went to look at them. The litter was 3 boys and 3 girls. We went into her house and the puppies were in her kitchen so into the kitchen we went. I sat on the floor and all the puppies were running around, except one of them. He came over and crawled into my lap and started playing with my shoe laces. We learned that he was the runt of the litter and was brought back to life after being born with no heart beat, the lady explained how she massaged his chest and he came to life. So did we pick this dog, nope he picked us. We took him and named him Peabody. The name I always said I wanted for a dog, it was the name the girl, Jennifer, who got me into Rainbow, had for her poodle. So Peabody came home with us.
My mom said a dog had to sleep in the kitchen, and we tried but he cried and cried, so that night I laid on the couch with him on my chest and we slept. I think it is interesting his first night in our house he slept on my chest and his last night in our house she slept on my mom's chest.
Peabody was ornery at first, eating up phone cords and tinkling on the white shaggy rug in the family room.
Peabody made many moves from Willow Drive, to North Troost and finally to Kearney.
Peabody was funny, he was a boy dog but tinkled like a girl dog. He was full of energy and spunk.
When we lived on North Troost someone tried to poison him and I remember sitting on the kitchen floor cuddling him as he shook violently and was throwing up. He survived.
Peabody even had the joy of having Catherine paint his toes nails one time with nail polish.
He was my first baby and I will never forget him. He was the runt of the litter and he out lived all of his brothers and sisters. He lived for 17 years and 10 months.
Thank you God for letting Peabody pick me to be his Mommy and thank you for the joy he brought to my family.
Peabody you will be missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment