Friday, August 22, 2008

Knee Surgery

Well today was the big day. My mom came to the house to stay with our kids. Tony and I head to the Surgery Center. We arrived at 10 am which was our check in time. Filled out a few papers and waited. Around 10:30 am they took me back to prep me for surgery and then let Tony come back. Then the waiting began.....and waiting.....and waiting. What was suppose to be a 11 am surgery time became a noon. I was taken back to the OR and moved over to the surgery table. I remember the anesthesiologist saying "you are going to get start to feel sleepy" and that was the last I remember. I woke up in recovery to the Dr's assistant telling me I can't walk on my right leg. And I was freezing like crazy. Finally I was up all the way and Tony came in. They went over my restrictions which where a ton, no shower for 3 days, no tub bath for 2 weeks, no weight on my right leg for 6 weeks. Tony then went on to explain to me what they found. They cleaned up the back of my knee cap which was not as bad as they thought. Then they saw the bottom of my femur. It was cracked and ground away. So they drilled holes, we think they said 5-6, in the bottom of my femur to make my bone "bleed". This is causing the bone marrow to bleed and thus hopefully rebuild the bone. So now I am stuck on the couch taking it easy, something I never do.

No comments: