Saturday, August 30, 2008

Blood Letting again

That is my mom's new term. I told her I had to go today for another blood draw to see if my blood is thinning enough with the meds so this stupid blood clot. So my mom kept saying, "have fun at your blood letting". So Tony, Christopher and I went to the hospital and had my blood drawn, which went pretty good. There was a lady there who as having her baby checked for jaundice. She looked so tired, I remember those days, she said she had a c-section and it was just too much. I smiled and said "I understand, he was our 3rd c-section." Her eyes got so big, and said 3.....no way 1 c-section is enough for me.

So I went in and they drew my blood no big deal, I am becoming a pro at this, I just said Butterfly, left arm, no tape. The nurse laughed, I told her well 3 days in the hospital and blood being drawn 4 times a day I am a pro now. And to think I have 6 months of this at the minimum. :( Oh well life goes on.

We left the hospital and went to Wal-Mart, my least favorite store, but I needed beading supplies for the class I am teaching at co-op and I know wal-mart had chairs I can be in so I am not on my crutches the entire time. So here I was one of those people in the electric carts, one of those people I always look at and wonder why they are not up walking. I felt so stupid. The only save grace is Tony had my crutches with him in the cart in front of me so at least it showed why I was not walking. We found what we wanted and came home.

The Doctor called later on in the day to say my test came back better, but my blood is still not thin enough so I am to up my coumadin to 7.5 mg a day. I will go back on Tuesday to see if that has helped. Oh that reminded me, I guess I am prone to DVT from now on, so I need to do some reading to see what all that means. One of my best friends emailed me and told me her mom has had two blood clots one of which went to her lungs, that is scary. I don't want something that bad to happen. What makes it worse is I did everything I was told to keep this from happening and yet it happened. Really makes you value life that is for sure, although I did not come close to death, the idea that this blood clot could have meant death is scary to me.

I ended up napping like 3 hours today, which tells me my leg is doing better and it is letting me sleep. My calf still hurts but the hurting is less, so that is a good sign I assume.

No comments: