I am sure you have heard of the book "The Joy of Cooking".....well this my friends is the story of "The Joy of Canning." Yes you read that right I enjoy canning. I have no idea why I enjoy it so much but I do. I find great pleasure in looking in my pantry and seeing jar after jar of my work. I have been teaching my children how to can, which for the most part is a lost art for many.
The other day Pop's came over and we had a talk about lots of topics, one of which was time and how we use our time. He made reference to my canning and how for $1.50 I could go buy a jar of pickles at the store and he is sure I spend more then that on making pickles. He might be right about the cost, I have never figured the cost becuase to me it is not about the money. It is about the fact that our family grew the cucumbers, sliced the cucumbers, iced and salted them, made a brine for them and canned them. It is the fact that we know what is in those jars and were it comes from. But more so it is something I can do for my family.
So this year we have put up dill pickles, sweet pickles, bread and butter pickles, salsa, peach pie filling, and grape jelly. We are not done yet as apple season is just around the corner and so there will be more.
So come one......come all.....it is time to break out those pots, jars, and lids and come can with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment