Saturday, September 16, 2006

The story of the Gall Bladder from Hell

Well it all started back on Monday, August 7th when I started getting sick. On the 14th I went to my regular doctor who said nothing was wrong with me, must be a virus (that has lasted over a week - I DON'T THINK SO). On the 15th I ended up in the ER because I was in so much pain. They did a CAT scan and said "You have gall stones but it is not related" and sent me home. Found a Gastrologist to see, but the soonest they could get me in was Monday, September 11th. Got in on Monday, he said it is your gall bladder....had a sonogram done on Tuesday....met with the surgen on Wednesday and that brought is to Friday, September 15th:

Well all is done and all is well. I am a little sore but nothing compared to my 3 c-sections! Heck I never even took any pain meds at the hospital.

My parents were nice enough to take the Girls to their house Thursday night so the only one Tony had to worry about was Christopher. So we all got up at 5:30 am on Friday and began to get ready.

We got to the hospital about 6:30 am and signed in and waited. Finally they called me over to the desk to check in and get my wristband. Then we waited again. Our friend, Judy, whose dad as been in the hospital for almost 4 weeks now, came and found us before going to check on her dad.

Finally about 7 am they took me back to the pre-op area and had me change into one of those stylish hospital gowns. The funny part was the sleeve seem was gone in it so I was a flasher. LOL The nurse came back and said “I don’t think that is going to work” and I said “Oh I thought I would go for the flasher look”. She busted up laughing. So we changed again. They came and drew blood for blood work and then got my IV started. Then the anesthesiology came in to make sure he had his notes right and go over rules for nursing (which he said there were none, my surgeon and the nurses all said wait 24 hours and just pump). Then they let Tony and Christopher come back. So we sat and watch TV and I nursed Christopher and we waited….and waited…and waited.

Finally they came to get me and pushed me back to the surgery room. To be honest they put something in my IV right before they started pushing me out of the pre-op area and I don’t remember much pass them pushing the button to get out of the pre-op area.

The next thing I remember is being in recovery and not being able to see (they made Tony take my glasses). So the nurse said she would got them for me. Took till I was in my observation room before I could see completely though, it was like my eyes could not focus.
We were put into the new observations rooms at the hospital. They are these little like holding rooms for 24 hour holds after surgery to make sure you are ok. It is nothing like the maternity rooms (which are the only rooms I have ever been in).

Remember my friend, Judy, I mentioned, her dad was on the same floor as me, just on the other side of the walls on the outer rooms. So when we went walking we would go visit them.
The surgeon said they removed my gall bladder which had one stone, the size of a jaw breaker, said it was between 1 and 1 ½ inches in diameter, it had caused my bail duct to get twisted and the my gall bladder was not even draining correctly. They did everything laparoscopicly, so I have 4 little incision. To me it feels like I have been doing crunches.

So we are home and we are doing good.
Thanks for all the prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad it's over an everything went well. I had to laugh when you said it was nothing compared to 3 C-sections. I have a friend who said her C-section was nothing compared to gall bladder surgery! LOL Anyway, I'm praying for a speedy recovery!