Friday, November 18, 2005

The Faith of a 4 year old

The Power of a 4 year old’s faith.

I guess I should start back almost a week ago. My family went to the memorial service of a dear friend and church member, Mary. It was a very moving service, the church was runith over with people. After the service Catherine wanted to know why there was no casket with the sleeping body (the way she puts it). So my dad took Catherine to the front of the church and showed her the urn that was sitting there, for our friend has been cremated. My dad explained to her that she was now ashes and inside that urn. He told her that from ashes we come and ashes we go...from dust to dust. That seemed to sit well with Catherine and we went on our merry way.

Well during the week Catherine has been asking me lots of questions. Her first is why do we say from ashes to ashes when God created Adam from the dirt on the ground. So we explained to her that the saying ashes to ashes can also be told dirt to dirt if that makes more sense. She was fine with that. Catherine also wanted to know why she went to heaven. So I told her she went to heaven because God wanted her back home. Then Catherine said “Oh just like God wanted Great Grammi back home”. Exactly I told her.

Well now we come to Thursday, which is TNT at our church. TNT is a family kinda thing. Catherine has children’s choir and jr. communications (like a Sunday school of sorts) and I go to crocheting. Well as we were leaving the lady who does Jr. Communications comes up to me and tells me about what they did. I guess they talked about feelings and about making cards for people. Catherine told her that she was sad because Mrs. Mary had gone to heaven to be with God. So the teacher recommend that she make a card for our Mary’s husband, Glen, because he is probably sad too. So I guess Catherine made a card, she put stairs on the card, and when asked what those stairs were she said “those are the stars for Mrs. Mary to get to heaven.” Catherine wrote in the card “I miss Mary too”.

Talk about the caring and faith of a child.

No comments: