Friday, October 07, 2005

Christopher comes into the world.

Well at midnight on October 7, 2005 I started having contractions. The contractions continued and seems to be pretty close together. I got up and took a shower to see if that would make them go away.

At 1:30 am I called my parents to see if they wanted to meet us at the hospital or come over to our house, because I thought I was in labor. They said they would come over to our house. So Tony and I picked up and got stuff together and waited for them to arrive.

Well we got to the hospital about 2:30 am, via a stop at Walgreen’s to pick up film for the camera. We walked into the ER and the lady at the window says to me “Can I help you”. I told her “I think I am in labor” she just pointed around the corner and said “Go over there and they will check you in.” So we go over to the evening admittance, the people working in the area are just talking and chit chatting. Finally one of them looks over and says to me “Can we help you.” So again I said to them “I think I am in labor.” You never saw people move so fast. So they got me registered and then we walked up to the maternity floor. I chose to walk because I thought it might help move things along. We got up there and to our room. Took forever to get a nurse, because the room next to us the person was getting ready to push so they were busy. Finally a nurse came in and told me to change clothes and put the monitors on me. The monitors showed contractions every 7-12 minutes, but not supper strong, like 40 on the monitor. So they called the Dr on call from my OB group. He told them to give me Visceral, which is a muscle relaxer and water. I was to take the meds and drink the water to see if the contractions would go away. I guess the Dr. thought it might be false labor. Well the medication sped up my contractions and made them slightly stronger. They checked me and I was still only dilated to 1 cm. So they called the Dr. and he wanted to send me home saying I was in early labor. So we told the nurse, does he realize I am a repeat c-section and that my last c-section was 14 months ago.

Well that phone call changed everything! First the Dr. asked if I would like to have my regular Dr. do the c-section, saying that I would have to labor for about 3 hours till that could happen. I said oh I would love that if possible. Well after checking hospital schedules they realized that could not happen, so he was on his way in to do the c-section.

So they rushed and prepped me for the c-section. First the nurse told me she would have to shave me, but she found he did not need to do so. Then they got my IV in, and did it on the first shot!!!! (with Anna it took 4 tries). Then came the catheter, I hate those things!

Finally they took us down to the OR. We got in there and they put the spinal in, which the guy did on the first shot and it only hurt a little. I watched them do all their counts for stuff and prep.

Finally in walked the Dr, who was trying to light a fire under the hospital staff, they were moving too slow for his liking. Then Tony came in. It was funny I watched the monitors the whole time, since with Anna they bottomed out my blood pressure. And sure enough I watched the numbers drop and drop and drop. Then came the sick feeling. Only I did good I did not get sick. I just kept swallowing saying, I can do this I can do this.

Then we heard the sound from heaven. A cry. And the Dr. said “It’s a boy” I about lost it, I started crying and looked at Tony and said “you got your little boy”. It is funny because just the other day at my 38 week check-up I called my mom on the way home, and told her I was sure we were having another girl. Tony went and took pictures and stuff of Christopher.

They then brought Christopher over so I could seem him, he was sooo tiny and soo cute. Then Tony and Christopher left to go to the nursery to get weighed and checked out and such.

I laid there while they finished the surgery, which seemed to take forever. The Dr asked one last time if I was done having children and I told him, yes I was. So with that my fate is sealed. I have three wonderful children and we are a complete family.

Christopher was born at 6:56 am and weighed in at 7 pounds 9 ounces and was 20 1/8 inches long. He was kept in the Nursery for a long time, because the pediatrician was late getting there to clear him and they were watching his breathing, which was rough at times. They took me back to our hospital room to monitor me and then we moved to the 8th floor, the floor for c-section mommies. This was to be our home till Monday.

No comments: